Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Night Live Music: "Right Where I Belong/Ride to Heaven"

To continue with the Texas theme from last week--my friend Scott (the same fellow who I went to the Joe Ely concert in Fort Worth with) introduced me to the music of Ely, Butch Hancock, and Jimmie Dale Gilmore, aka The Flatlanders--as well as the incomparably weird song-writing of their fellow Texan Terry Allen--back in the late 1990s. Then, sometime in early 2001 (presumably on this very same tour shown here; I can remember Robbie Gjersoe handling a lot of the fancy fretwork), they came to the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, and Melissa and I caught the show, thanks to tickets which--again!--Scott bought for us. (He's really been my musical patron over the years.) It was a fabulous show, and while I'm not sure we're heard "Right Where I Belong" that night, I know we heard--and cheered our hearts out--for the the delightfully blasphemous Allen song which comes right after it.

No comments: