Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Saturday, August 09, 2014

Saturday Night Live Music: "Line 'Em Up"

I remember Richard Nixon back in '74 / and the final scene at the White House door
and the staff lined up to say good-bye / tiny tear in his shifty little eye,
he said, "nobody knows me / nobody understands.
These little people were good to me / oh I'm gonna shake some hands."


James Taylor, singing about a moment, exactly 40 years ago today, when Nixon resigned the presidency and left the White House--a moment that also, as I think both JT's song and a little reflection on anyone's part makes clear, encapsulates the rueful, confused, broken introspection which characterized (all too briefly!) America in the 1970s. Too bad it couldn't have lasted.

No comments: