Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Maybe for Some Reason I Found the Reference to "The Kaiser" Hilarious

This pointless little cartoon bubbled up into my consciousness a couple of weeks ago, and it's been haunting me ever since. All I could remember was something about a mouse springing traps as he went down to his vault, so it took me hours to track it down.



I have no idea why my brain didn't simply flush it away like so much else useless detritus. Maybe I thought the Jack Benny-mouse was some sort of cool James Bond-type character. More likely, I probably just thought it would be awesome to have a hidden vault like that.

2 comments:

nancydrew said...

Thanks. I can't wait to show this to my husband who still will watch Jack Benny any time it's possible. However, I have to wonder--were you watching cartoons from the crib? I love the lavish illustration and hand-tinted colors. Lost art. Sigh. Another day to be grateful for youTube.

Russell Arben Fox said...

Not from the crib, Ms. Drew, but pretty close. I watched a lot of TV growing up, and back in the early 70s (and maybe late 70s too), you could still find hours and hours of old Warner Bros. stuff on Saturday mornings. A lot of them were shown whole, without edits, if I recall correctly, which is retrospect is really rather bizarre: why would the people broadcasting these movies think their target audience would get a joke about Douglas MacArthur (whom Bugs Bunny dressed up as once)?