Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday Morning Videos: "Our House"

Next week is Thanksgiving, and we're preparing for some relatives to visit, and stay with us (on the old couch-bed downstairs) for a few days. I thought that might make it an appropriate week for something by Crowded House, but I never really liked any of their hits too much. So how about some Madness? No doubt it'll be that around Chez Fox next week.

3 comments:

Damon Linker said...

I'm crushed that you could think of no Crowded House to post. They are one of my all time favorite bands. Neil Finn's an absurdly talented songwriter.

Russell Arben Fox said...

You're the second person to give me grief over this comment, Damon. Maybe I never gave them a proper chance? I admit that "Something So Strong" was a pretty good tune. But "Don't Dream It's Over" was just so maudlin--and so overplayed--that it gave me a bad taste for the band.

Damon Linker said...

I never liked "Something So Strong" very much. Too simple and uninspired. Though I think "Don't Dream" is a gorgeous song that Paul McCartney would kill to have written. Do you know "Weather With You" or "Locked Out"? Those were kind of MTV "hits," too, but the truth is that they were never that popular in this country, and besides "Don't Dream" were never a singles band. But their four pre-breakup albums are all great in their own ways, and their reunion album (Time On Earth) wasn't bad either. Check out: "Don't Stop Now."