Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Morning Videos: "Voices Carry"

Admittedly, this tune and video were massive hits; they were everywhere my junior and senior years in high school. But the band itself was never a great fit with the mainstream, as Aimee Mann's subsequent career has demonstrated. But anyway, I just put up a video which tells the story of a woman sticking co-dependently beside her drunken, self-destructive man; I might as well put up this one about feminist defiance as compensation.



My wife and old friends from my freshman year will not let me get away without mentioning my "Kiss This Guy" moment with this song; until I arrived at BYU, I thought the lyric (completely nonsensically, but what did I know?) wasn't "Keep it down now / voices carry" but was "let's go downtown /it's so scary." Pathetic, I know. I hope if I ever meet Aimee she'll forgive me.

4 comments:

MH said...

I'd been listening to Aimee Mann's solo stuff for a couple of months. One day I asked my wife why the voice sounded so familiar as I'd never made the connection on my own.

Matt said...

Thanks to you, I've had this song stuck in my head for two days now.

Russell Arben Fox said...

MH, I didn't make the connection between Til Tuesday and Amiee Mann for years either.

Matt: creating earworms is what this feature is all about, of course.

Madeleine said...

I can back you up on the mis-hearing. For a long, long time, I thought it was "Even downtown / Was so scary."