Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Now Understand Five-Year-Old Boys Completely

I grew up in a family of boys, all of whom were five-year-olds at one point or another--indeed, I was a five-year-old myself, once. But these days I'm surrounded by girls (and emerging teen-agers), and the consciousness of little boys, and really boys in general, seems to be slipping away from me. Thankfully, AXE COP--a comic book written entirely by a five-year-old boy (though drawn by his older brother)--sets me completely straight.



"We should put these heads on a stick, and hide bombs in them." Yes, that's a smart five-year-old boy thinking, right there. It's all coming back to me now....

There are nine episodes in all, so far; do read them all. The one with the "half vampire man, half vampire baby, and half vampire kid in the middle" is our favorite.

6 comments:

Katie Fox said...

That sound about right. having been around only 3 five year old boys (so far) this made total sense to me.

Ben Pratt said...

This perfectly encapsulates what it is to play with brothers.

Russell Arben Fox said...

I figured your boys would like them, Katie. It reminded me of weird games Daniel and I would play, where we would, for example, get on our new phones around the house (look--buttons instead of a dial!), press a bunch of number, and summon the Cyclops, our all-powerful, all-terrain vehicle, within which we would roam around and kill things. Good times.

Geoff J said...

My brother sent me the link to this earlier today. Weird that you would post on it today too. These stories crack me up.

sister blah 2 said...

Good to know! I grew up in a family of all girls so sometimes the stuff my 5yo son says freaks me out. I think he's destined to be dangerously violent or something. My husband always laughs it off. Now I'm starting to get it!

Camassia said...

I didn't get to this till yesterday, but I'm glad I finally did. My favorite character so far is Sockarang. Every picture of him reduces me to helpless giggles.

I also love the file drawer labeled "Maps To Bad Guy Labs." Why didn't Batman ever think of that?