Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Friday, January 07, 2005

What a Week

Finally arrived back in Arkansas late Monday night; since then, after unpacking and recuperating, I've been desperately working through all sorts of stuff which piled up over the holiday, much of which I could have finished before the break. No one to blame but me, I know.

I'm off to New Orleans in about a half-hour for the Southern Political Science Association conference; unfortunately, I'm returning on Saturday: no chance to explore New Orleans further, which I've only visited once before. (But then, I won't have Melissa or the girls with me, so it wouldn't be that much fun anyway.) Classes begin next week; maybe, if I use my time right on Sunday, I'll actually have my syllabi finished on time. Maybe.

Upcoming posts include some reflections on television programs, fine dining, and other modern middle-class luxuries, with some thoughts thrown in alongside on how and if they conflict with living a simple, hopefully relatively egalitarian life. Also, look for a review of Gar Alperovitz's America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy, a book I'm getting a lot out of. And maybe some more posts on education as well. Plus, it's about time I do some more housecleaning around the blog. But that's for later. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was watching online Gar Alperovitz's segment on Washington Journal yesterday. Admittedly as a capitalist, I did find it thoroughly lacking in substance. Judge for yourself.

http://tinyurl.com/68y5l

And although I'm not opposed to buying the book, I did wonder if he discusses the economic calculation problem of what he's seeking, which I deciphered to be some European model of government intervention in the economy.
 

Posted by Justin