Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Monday, April 10, 2023

Songs of '83: "She's a Beauty"

I wrote earlier that I have a fondness for every song in this series. Well, let me qualify that a little bit, because "She's a Beauty"--the biggest radio hit in the entire history of the San Francisco-based art-rock band The Tubes, which cracked Billboard charts 40 years ago this week--actually kind of creeps me out. It's mostly the video, I suppose, which may be unfair. Then again, they actually had to cut back on all the weird sexuality and imagery they'd originally planned for the video, so for a song about a peep show, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the end result. Anyway, the logic of the radio marketplace--for all the ways I'm arguing it was changing, or finally responding to musical changes, in 1983--couldn't say no to this kind of slick, commercial pop-rock; as much as it may turn me off today, I can't ignore a Top Ten earworm like this if I'm going to be honest. Anyway, enjoy.

No comments: