Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lawyers Who Oppose Obamacare, Help Me Out With This One

I'm going to have to write something more about the health care debate soon, especially with the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals capable of handing down their decision in the latest legal attack on the Affordable Care Act at any time. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to this week, as in all likelihood I'll be away from the computer for the next several days. In the meantime though, perhaps any lawyers who are inclined to a little head-butting could enlighten me some. Akhil Amar, one of the biggest names at Yale Law School, has written a paper that not only strongly defends the constitutionality of Obamacare (and yes, he calls it that), but calls it, in the paper's final line, "a profound culmination of the Reconstruction vision"--that is, he claims it's a law that moves towards the completion of a post-Civil War vision of racial and social justice that has been long denied. Pretty heavy praise. Of course, it goes without saying that Amar is a known Obama supporter. But still, what about his arguments? I need to read through them thoroughly...something I hope to have the time to do this coming week. If, by the time I return, some intelligent conservative lawyer could have left me an explanation as to why Amar's arguments, as he lays them out in his paper, just don't stand up, I'd be most gratified. I'm all about the learning here, after all. Anyway

No comments: