Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday Morning Videos: "Queen of Hearts"

Here's something a little different: country-pop music. Now sure, country music--original folk and roots, Nashville-style, western swing, rockabilly, whatever--was obviously out there all while I was growing up, but I missed out on nearly all of it. It wasn't until I was an adult that I found the sense to familiarize myself with all those great country performers over the years who never really respected genre boundaries--the Johnny Cashes, the Emmylou Harrises, the Willie Nelsons, the Dolly Partons--and who consequently, once radio went corporate, rarely had big, cross-over hits. In the early days of the video age, before Garth Brooks changed the whole country music scene, there was very little twang on VH1 or MTV, and hence little country music in my consciousness. But there was Juice Newton though, so let's give her some props.



I love her bandmate who keeps poking his head up over the jail cell window. Nice touch.

3 comments:

MH said...

I'd completely forgotten about that. For some reason, she is linked in my mind to "Elvira" and now I have the Oak Ridge Boys in my head.

Russell Arben Fox said...

The Oak Ridge Boys! Yes! Thanks for the reminder; I'm going to have to slip them into the line-up one of these days...

Thomas G. said...

Ahh.. Juice Newton! I had a serious crush on her in the 8th grade after watching this video. Thanks for the memories.

For more recent country music, I strongly recommend the new Avett Brothers CD. I haven't been able to take it out of my CD player in weeks.