Featured Post

WELCOME TO RUSSELL ARBEN FOX'S HOME PAGE

If you're a student looking for syllabi, click the "Academic Home Page" link on your right, and start there.

Friday, August 07, 2009

Friday Morning Videos: "All This Time"

Sorry, it takes us away from the post-punk, pre-New Wave theme, but I can't mention Sting and resist putting up my favorite video of his, which is also one of my all-time favorites, period. I think this is about as narratively sophisticated and clever a music video as I've ever seen. The blustering businessman, the silent priests, the confused almost-suicide, the plumbers just trying to fix the ship (the ship of fools, perhaps?), the dancing old man trying to capture the spotlight...it's brilliant. When a message, even one you disagree with, is delivered with this kind of humor and style, you've got to pay it some respect.

2 comments:

MH said...

That was a good video. But why is John "Cougar" Mellencamp on the still before the video starts?

Russell Arben Fox said...

Beats me, MH. Some weird quirk in how whomever at Yahoo originally loaded it, I suppose.